Phenobarbital is a medication recommended by the World Health Organization for the treatment of certain types of epilepsy in developing countries. In the developed world it is commonly used to treat seizures in young children, while other medications are generally used in older children and adults. Phenobarbital overdose may have serious effects
It may be used intravenously, injected into a muscle, or taken by mouth. The injectable form may be used to treat single epileptic seizure lasting more than five minutes or two or more seizures within a five-minute period without the person returning to normal between them.
Phenobarbital is occasionally used to treat trouble sleeping, anxiety, and drug withdrawal and to help with surgery. It usually begins working within five minutes when used intravenously and half an hour when administered orally. Its effects last for between four hours and two days
Phenobarbital causes a depression of the body’s systems, mainly the central and peripheral nervous systems. Thus, the main characteristic of phenobarbital overdose include
Depending on how much time has elapsed since ingestion of the drug, this may be accomplished through gastric lavage (stomach pumping) or use of activated charcoal. Hemodialysis is effective in removing phenobarbital from the body, and may reduce its half-life by up to 90%.
No specific antidote for barbiturate poisoning is available according to the world health Organization.
Never share phenobarbital with another person, especially someone with a history of drug abuse or addiction.
Phenobarbital may be taken once or twice a day.
Some other medicines used to treat epilepsy may affect how well phenobarbital works, or may cause side-effects